[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] Fwd: Will Edwards to give Mill talk in Estonia on 12/10/2014

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 01:13:05 EST 2014

Watching all the talks takes more than just an hour, but I've just spent a
couple of days doing so. This is certainly intriguing. At first glance it
all looks too good to be true, but the technical details actually look
plausible and elegant.

One way to look at it is: Mill is what Itanic could have been, if it wasn't
designed by committee. It neatly sidesteps a lot of the pitfalls that tend
to go with VLIW designs, and therefore has a chance of actually working as
advertised, unlike Itanic.

The only thing that I'm really not convinced about is the way they produce
a custom instruction encoding for each member of the architecture family.
However, that does make the architecture scalable, unlike Itanic.

It's possible that some of the more useful ideas it presents could have
been incorporated into a conventional RISC architecture. I might play with
that idea privately.

Estonia is even quite close to where I am, just the opposite side of the
Gulf of Finland, so I'm almost tempted to go and take a look. On the other
hand, it's probably just as educational to watch the video at home
afterwards, and doing so avoids scheduling conflict.

- Jonathan Morton