[Bloat] Internet in Sweden is pretty good...

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sat Feb 8 08:37:04 EST 2014

So I got a new flat in Sweden with ethernet-to-the-wall 100/100 Mbps
internet (for ~$50/month. The municipality owns the infrastructure and
providers offer service; I had 9 different providers to pick from). Did
some measurements with my laptop plugged in to it.

One plot is just plugging in the laptop without fiddling with
any settings (other than having fq_codel as the system-wide default
qdisc):

http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/data/karlstad/rrul-2014-02-08T010909.617794.Laptop_plugged_into_apt_wall.png

The second one is after putting in an HTB shaper:

http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/data/karlstad/rrul-2014-02-08T142522.645782.Laptop_htb_105_110Mbps.png

And a CDF for comparison:
http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/data/karlstad/cdf_comparison.png

All the data is available at
http://files.toke.dk/bufferbloat/data/karlstad/ including the HTB script
that set things up.

In conclusion: Weeeeh! :D

Now to find a router that can handle HTB at those speeds...

-Toke