[Bloat] ECN on vpns?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 01:24:23 EDT 2014

I presently don't have any ipsec based tunnels running (having
reverted to the much easier to setup openvpn), and we'd discussed what
the rfcs said about ecn a while back:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.cerowrt.devel/470

And I'd noted that encapsulation seemed to be working even further back:

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/bloat/2011-June/000554.html

http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~d/veryhappynetwork.png

but I haven't ever got around to checking what products, if any,
actually decapsulated ECT(1) correctly back into the original IP
header.

Does anyone know if linux + strongswan/libreswan and/or other forms of
vpn encapsulation (tinq, openvpn, commercial products), are doing the
right thing presently? I would figure openvpn can't (due to doing
compression)...

I see ecn negotiation is in the ikev2 standard...

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article