[Bloat] fq_codel, high bandwidth, and delays

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Jul 8 00:38:54 EDT 2014

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Aaron Wood wrote:

> In talking with a friend over the weekend that moves data around for the
> national labs (on links at rates like 10Gbps), we ended up having a rather
> interesting discussion about just how radically different the problem
> spaces are vs. what he's seen in the bufferbloat community.
>
> They have few flows, long lived, and are trying to push >1Gbps per flow,
> across the continent (or from Europe to the US), with inherent delays on
> the order of 100ms.  TCP under these conditions is, from his reports,
> incredibly fragile, where even a tiny packet error rate stops TCP for
> saturating the link (since it can't tell the difference between congestion
> and a non-congestion-related dropped packet).
>
> And suddenly the "every packet is precious" mode of thought becomes crystal
> clear.

Part of the answer for them is "don't do that" :-)

There are many tools around to move massive amounts of data through multiple
parallel TCP connections so that if one connection gets a lost packet, it
doesn't kill the entire flow, only the one connection slows down (if it's true
congestion, then all the flows will be slowed)

David Lang