[Bloat] fq_codel, high bandwidth, and delays

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Fri Jul 11 02:20:40 EDT 2014

Aaron

We did the analysis and optimisation issue with CERN about 10 years ago. The ATLAS team has the answers.

Your friend needs to investigate the pattern of the packet loss, not just its rate [dynamics of queues is an interesting issue, INRIA tech reports are a good start]. Are they sharing this bandwidth (i.e how stationary are the data transport properties). All that helps you work out the optimal window size (probably just below the delay bandwidth product for the link). Making a single TCP session saturate such links is always hard, as for a handful - much easier - as long as they don't create their own self-syncing DOS attack [at the key constrained/variable resource point on the path].

Neil