[Bloat] viability of the data center in the internet of the future

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Jun 28 08:31:51 EDT 2014

I hope it is obvious I am in violent agreement.

The folks who think a centralized structure is more efficient or more practical just have not thought it through.

The opposite is true. Sadly people's intuitions are trained to ignore evidence and sound argument....

So we have a huge population of engineers who go along without thinking because they honestly think centralized systems are better for some important reason they never question.

This means that the non engineering public has no chance at understanding.

Whenever I have looked at why centralized designs are 'needed' it has turned out to be the felt need for 'control' of something by one small group or individual.

Sometimes it is the designer. Shame on him/her.

Sometimes it is the builder. Ditto.

Sometimes it is the operator. Do we need one operator?

Sometimes it is the owner. Don't the users own their uses and purposes?

Sometimes it is the fearful. I sympathize. But they don't really want to cede collective control to a small group they can't trust ir even understand. Or maybe they do...

Sometimes it is the wannabe sovereign.

The weakness of the argument is that control need not be centralized. In fact centralized control is inefficient and unnecessary.

I've devoted much of my work to that last sentence.

For example... In Croquet we (me and 3 others) demonstrated that it's pretty easy to build a real time shared multimedia virtual world that works without a single central server. It really worked and scaled linearly with users adding their own computer when they entered the world, and removing it when they got disconnected. . Just pulling the plug was fine.)

Same with decentralized wireless ... no need for centralized spectrum allocation... linear growth of capacity with transceiver participation coming from the actual physics of the real propagation environment.

Equating centralized control with efficiency or necessary management is a false intuition.

Always be skeptical of the claim that centralized control is good. Cui bono?