[Bloat] AQM creeping into L2 equipment

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Tue Mar 18 10:52:21 EDT 2014

Hi,

I thought some of you might be interested in a small observation I made
today: Cisco 2960-X, their latest low-end (?) L2 access switch offering
(well, it can do some L3 as well, especially the 2960-XR, but I don't think
it's very commonly used), has WRED on its feature list. They also have
something that looks like SFQ. We ordered two a while back but haven't
received them yet, so I haven't tested how well it works in practice.

I guess this mirrors my desire since a few years back that _any_ congestion
point in your network (and a switch that supports both 10gig and 1gig is a
prime candidate for becoming a congestion point on downconversion...) should
have some form of AQM. Of course, it's no CoDel or PIE, but you take what you
get...

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/