[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] fq_codel is two years old

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Thu May 15 18:01:45 PDT 2014

I don't think that at all. I suspect you know that. But if I confused you, let me assure you that my view of the proper operating point of the Internet as a whole is that the expected buffer queue on any switch anywhere in the Internet is < 1 datagram.

fq_codel is a good start, but it still requires letting buffer queueing increase.  However, mathematically, one need not have the queues build up to sustain the control loop that fq_codel creates.

I conjecture that one can create an equally effective congestion control mechanism as fq_codel without any standing queues being allowed to build up. (Someone should try the exercise of trying to prove that an optimal end-to-end feedback control system requires queueing delay to be imposed. I've tried and it's led me to the conjecture that one can always replace a standing queue with a finite memory of past activities - and if one does, the lack of a standing queue means that the algorithm is better than any that end up with a standing queue).

fq_codel could be redesigned into a queue-free fq_codel.