[Bloat] QOS on the local network (was: fq_codel is two years old)

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Fri May 16 22:16:52 EDT 2014

Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote
> Personally, I've mostly been interested in QOS in the local network: as
> "hints", for example, that it is worth more aggressive bidding for transmit
> opportunities in WiFi, for example to ensure my VOIP, teleconferencing,
> gaming, music playing and other actually real time packets get priority
> over bulk data (which includes web traffic), and may need access to the
> medium sooner than for routine applications or scavenger applications.
>
> Whether it should have any use beyond the scope of the network that I
> control is less than clear to me, for the reasons you state; having my
> traffic screw up other people's traffic isn't high on my list of "good
> ideas".

In the days before Jim, Dave et all stuck a spear in bufferbloat, I was
an occasional but happy user of trickle and trickled. Notably where I
had a need to keep a network from overloading a slow up-bound link!  See
http://monkey.org/~marius/trickle, and notably .../trickle.pdf

It's probably time to take another look at it as an example of a local
service manager, and as a known functional starting point.

--dave