[Bloat] ipspace.net: "QUEUING MECHANISMS IN MODERN SWITCHES", > (Jonathan Morton)

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed May 28 13:29:15 EDT 2014

On 05/28/2014 11:33 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote
> It's a mathematical truth for any topology that you can reduce to a black box with one or more inputs and one output, which you call a "queue" and which *does
not discard* packets.  Non-discarding queues don't exist in the real
world, of course.

> The intuitive proof is that every time you promote a packet to be transmitted earlier, you must demote one to be transmitted later.  A non-FIFO queue tends to increase the maximum delay and decrease the minimum delay, but the average delay will remain constant.

A niggle: people working in queuing theory* make the simplifying
assumption that queues don't drop. When describing the real world, they
talk of "defections", the scenario where a human arrives at the tail of
the queue and "defects", either to another queue or to the exit door of
the store!

As you might guess, what I find intuitive the IP world finds wrong, and
vice versa.

--dave
[* as opposed, perhaps, to queuing networks (:-)]