[Bloat] ipspace.net: "QUEUING MECHANISMS IN MODERN SWITCHES"

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed May 28 14:56:26 EDT 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> On 28 May, 2014, at 12:39 pm, Hal Murray wrote:
>
>>> in non discarding scheduling total delay is conserved,
>>> irrespective of the scheduling discipline
>>
>> Is that true for all backplane/switching topologies?
>
> It's a mathematical truth for any topology that you can reduce to a black box
> with one or more inputs and one output, which you call a "queue" and which
> *does not discard* packets.  Non-discarding queues don't exist in the real
> world, of course.
>
> The intuitive proof is that every time you promote a packet to be transmitted
> earlier, you must demote one to be transmitted later.  A non-FIFO queue tends
> to increase the maximum delay and decrease the minimum delay, but the average
> delay will remain constant.

True, but not all traffic is equal. delays in DNS and short TCP connections are
far more noticable than the same total delay in long TCP connections (because
the users tend to be serialized on the short connections while doing the long
ones in parallel)

so queueing that favors short duration flows over long duration ones still
averages the same latency delay overall, but the latency/connection_length will
remain very small in all cases instead lf letting this ratio become very large
for short connections.

David Lang