[Bloat] The Dark Problem with AQM in the Internet?

Jerry Jongerius jerryj at duckware.com
Mon Sep 1 13:30:06 EDT 2014

Westwood+, as described in published researched papers, does not fully
explain the graph that was seen.  However, Westwood+, as implemented in
Linux, DOES fully explain the graph that was seen.  One place to review the
source code is here:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/ipv4/tcp_westwood.c?v=3.2

Some observations about this code:

1. The bandwidth estimate is run through a “(7×prev+new)/8” filter TWICE
[see lines 93-94].
2. The units of time for all objects in the code (rtt, bwe, delta, etc) is
‘jiffies’, not milliseconds, nor microseconds [see line 108].
3. The bandwidth estimate is updated every “rtt” with the test in the code
(line 139) essentially: delta>rtt.  However, “rtt” is the last unsmoothed
rtt seen on the link (and increasing during bufferbloat).  When rtt
increases, the frequency of bandwidth updates drops.
4. The server is Linux 3.2 with HZ=100 (meaning jiffies increases every
10ms).

When you graph some of the raw data observed (see
http://www.duckware.com/blog/the-dark-problem-with-aqm-in-the-internet/image
s/chart.gif), the Westwood+ bandwidth estimate takes significant time to
ramp up.

For the first 0.84 seconds of the download, we expect the Westwood+ code to
update the bandwidth estimate around 14 times, or once every 60ms or so.
However, after this, we know there is a bufferbloat episode, with RTT times
increasing (decreasing the frequency of bandwidth updates).  The red line in
the graph above suggests that Westwood might have only updated the bandwidth
estimate around 9-10 more times, before using it to set cwnd/ssthresh.

- Jerry