[Bloat] Fixing bufferbloat: How about an open letter to the web benchmarkers?

Jesper Dangaard Brouer jbrouer at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 03:17:30 EDT 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 20:13:19 -0400
Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll sign too. (And I like the 98th percentile measure for each
> direction to give a single number that represents what's happening. It
> could include ping loss rate, as well...)

I'll sign too.

The 98th percentile latency is of-cause nice, but we should remember to
keep our request simple.

"Dear speedtest.net/speedof.me please add a latency test, that measures
latency during the upload and download test-runs."

That will be the first baby step, don't make it too complicated for
them, afterwards we can start explaining if we want min/max or 98th
percentile.

They already have a ping facility, which the only run _before_ starting
the test run.  Thus, they should be-able to easily adapt their existing
"ping" code to measure during the test-runs... give then something they
can easily do.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer