[Bloat] What is wrong with Microsoft's receive window auto-tuning?

Jerry Jongerius jerryj at duckware.com
Fri Sep 12 07:03:53 EDT 2014

I have published some more details here:

http://www.duckware.com/blog/microsoft-windows-receive-window-auto-tuning-causes-bufferbloat/index.html

The problem is that a 'receive window set too large' causes (bufferbloat and) RTT times to increase to over 200ms, which then all of sudden causes bad things to start happening when there is a lost packet.

It almost looks like the algorithm does not account for bufferbloat -- which means that during bufferbloat, RTT times increase, and the algorithm computes an even large receive window, which causes even more bufferbloat.

Just curious.  There seems to be a lot of room for improvement in the algorithms...

- Jerry