[Bloat] Fixing bufferbloat: How about an open letter to the web benchmarkers?

Jesper Dangaard Brouer jbrouer at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 08:55:13 EDT 2014

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:16:46 -0400 Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2014, at 3:17 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer <jbrouer at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 20:13:19 -0400 Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> > The 98th percentile latency is of-cause nice, but we should remember to
> > keep our request simple.
>
> I did try a simple request and got a lukewarm response. You can see the
> gist of my correspondence with the test companies in
> https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cerowrt-devel/2014-September/003517.html

Yes, I did notice your write-up.  And thank you for doing so!

When reading it, it strikes me, that you don't directly tell them what
to do; e.g. add a latency test during upload and download.  You say so
indirectly, and points to a website with an implemented solution.  My
point is, it requires work from their side, to lookup a solution and
understand it.

I want something even simpler like add test that: "measures latency
while measuring the speed" (your own formulation from betterspeedtest.sh)

The reason, this email and this requirement have to be passed on from
person reading the mail, to management, to the developers in the company.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer