[Bloat] Measuring Latency

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Sep 14 12:55:54 EDT 2014

Hi Neil,

On Sep 14, 2014, at 16:31 , Neil Davies <neil.davies at pnsol.com> wrote:

> Gents,
>
> This is not actually true - you can measure one-way delays without completely accurately synchronised clocks (they have to be reasonably precise, not accurate) - see CERN thesis at http://goo.gl/ss6EBq

	I might have mis understood the thesis, but the requirement of 1000s of samples somehow does not work well with the use case we have been discussing in this thread, improvement of speed tests so that they include latency under load measurements.  Also looking at the thesis I am a bit unsure about the one way delay measurement method, it relies ion using the minimum one way delays times. My own observations of RTTs for ATM quantization show that even for 1000 samples per packet size the min is a much worse estimate than the median, so for their method to work over the open internet we are talking about gigantic numbers of samples… (now admitted I might have screwed up royally with my own analysis, I do this for a hobby only). Cool thesis, nice and impressive work, but not the best fit for the quest for a better speedtest I guess…

Best Regards
	Sebastian