[Bloat] I feel an urge to update this

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Sep 23 01:48:00 EDT 2014

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Dave Taht wrote:

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gettys-iw10-considered-harmful-00
>
> I just got some iw10 results on a t1 line... ugh. anyone want a stab at it?

Is it at all possible to create a solution that works well for all cases?

I pitched a proposal at IETF75 and then again a year ago in TCP/TCPM WGs
that it might be good if the connection manager could hint the TCP stack,
or the TCP stack could determine itself by heuristics, that its network
connection were of a few different degrees of a few criteria which might
be speed, loss, jitter etc. I perhaps even could tell my connection
manager that when connected to my home wired or wifi network, "everything"
is reachable via 50 + megabit/s connectivity. If I then speak to a 10GE
connected server, there should be no problem for it to do IW10. Basically,
my thinking is to have something similar to "MSS" but when it comes to
connectivity.

There was no interest anywhere in this, everybody wanted for each
connection to be living in its own universe with little prior knowledge
about what's been going on before it.

I just don't see how we can make things work well when we try to create
TCP to handle everything from 1500ms to 0.1ms of RTT, and everything from
19200bps to 100GE in speed.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se