[Bloat] RE : I feel an urge to update this

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 15:51:10 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM,  <luca.muscariello at orange.com> wrote:
> Dave
>
> I feel like you're rather optimistic about the deployment of fq

Hmm? At this point I'm rather sanguine about it. Every new high end
home router product
entering the market I've tried has it in it under some brand name or
another. Admittedly
my sample set is biased by anyone advertising better QoS...

Take for example netgear's new "nighthawk x4" products' "Dynamic QoS" feature.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/netgear_x4/netgear_x4_22_55_dynamic_qos.png

This is an enormous improvement on their earlier QoS systems, which
weren't deserving of the name.

While I don't know for sure that it's fq_codel underneath, it sure
looks like it, (from the interleave of the captures also) with an
optimization for ping. (I disagree with that, preferring to
de-optimize ping,  but it does make benchmarks look good. ECN is
disabled, sadly enough, and they don't offer options for DSL framing
compensation...)

The rrul curves for AQM would look very different, and sfq alone would
have larger latency spikes on the tcp flows.

With netgear, dd-link, buffalo, openwrt barrier breaker and everything
derived from it, dd-wrt, ipfire, pfsense, several others I forget, so
far on board, that's a pretty clean sweep of the non-isp-based home
router market, both with shipping product and aftermarket firmware. On
the higher end ubnt is making progress (the enthusiasm over there has
to be seen to be believed), mikrotik has shown a bit of interest, and
I think some more of the mid-range "cloudy" enterprise wifi makers are
paying attention. I know of several ISPs that paid attention and are
shipping fq_codel based product, also.

Of course there are some problems on the lower end boxes in getting
htb to scale, I hope we have some answers for that upcoming. And
there's work to be done on many a DSL device for BQL support, and not
a lot a sign of life from the head end makers except for tantalizing
hints from arris, and there are still issues with doing better
classification that would be nice to resolve globally.

So we are looking at deployments measured in the millions in the
coming year, easily.

> Also, you mention uplink in home gateways. There you not only have
> bittorrent but also a lot of personal cloud going up, a lot of video calls.

Yes, torrent is a toughie, but I take comfort in that most torrent
users are only doing 6 reno flows at a time, and if folk use a three
level system like sqm and mark the torrent traffic CS1 (or have DPI as
it appears the brand names are doing),
we're done there, too. Web traffic (being almost entirely slow start)
cuts through torrent traffic like butter, anyway.

The jury on videoconferencing on the interactions of fq, aqm, or
fq+aqm is still out. Most of the benchmarks I've seen have been taken
at very low rates (1-4mbit, where I'm far more interesting in rates
like 16/3 and higher), but that is looking good also, in all cases an
improvement over drop tail. I would like it if they were protecting
the main frame with ecn, at least....

> There IW10 without fq is going to be bad. In the US your are going to have
> pie on cable if I am not wrong...uhm...

Well, I hear DOCSIS 3.1 trials w/pie will start mid-next year. If
people don't dig pie, they can always slam one of these fancy new
boxes in front.

But I still dislike IW10 being on by default on boxes not based in the
data center.

> A simple question - how many T1 lines are left in the world?

It really was a simple question, I figured it could have been answered by
inspecting a few regulatory databases somewhere....