[Bloat] [rmcat] Scream C++ source code available

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 09:23:10 EDT 2015

it is always awesome to see testable source code. A core area we have not
been able to test with netperf-wrapper and other tools are the
characteristics of videoconferencing traffic. This looks to be a start! thx!

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 5:46 AM, Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) <versteb at cisco.com>
wrote:

>  Ingemar-
>

> I read the document on the repository, and it is not clear to me if the
> test code actually sends packets over a live network or not. It seems to
> use a simulated wireless network, but I am not sure.
>

> I am currently running some tests on how ABR video (mostly MPEG DASH)
> interacts with the various AQM schemes (Codel, PIE, FQ_Codel, FQ_PIE) and
> it would be pretty easy for me to add a few SCREAM tests to my testbed. I
> could make these test results available to this group, if that would be
> interesting………If there is a way to have the SCREAM C++ code send data over
> a live network using a simple script, I could plug that in pretty easily.
> The MS Visual Studio dependencies do not thrill me, but I can get past that
> 8-).
>

> In the preliminary ABR testing, we have seen that the ABR algorithms
> actually work better when run on networks that do modern AQM. As you
> probably know, most ABR algorithms only use loss as a congestion signal and
> do not use delay at all. When a link experiences bloat/delay (using
> large-buffer-tail-drop), the loss signal is delayed. It can be
> significantly delayed. This does have some impact on the ABR algorithms.
> The most obvious artifact is a new ABR session taking a longer amount of
> time to get enough data to display its first video chunk, but there also
> appear to be some impacts on the baseline rate adaptation algorithm. We are
> still quantifying these impacts…….
>

> It would be interesting to compare how the candidate WEBRTC algorithms
> handles <timely loss events via AQM> vs <packet delay and subsequent loss
> events via legacy buffer management algorithms>.
>

> Bvs
>

> [image: http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/logo05.jpg]
>
> *Bill Ver Steeg*
> DISTINGUISHED ENGINEER
> versteb at cisco.com

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb