[Bloat] [aqm] the cisco pie patent and IETF IPR filing

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:28:58 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Greg Skinner <gregskinner0 at icloud.com> wrote:
> Sorry I haven’t had a chance to comment on this until now.  Also, I’m not on the bloat list, but you may copy any responses to me there, if you wish.
>
> I was thinking perhaps another approach to spreading the word could be presenting talks at conferences aimed at CIOs and CTOs.  They are generally interested in saving money and getting better performance from equipment that’s already in use.  The algorithms and techniques discussed here do that.

Well, more directly to this point - they can do it on Linux, on modern
distros, on all cpus supported. Those using with other OSes or older
embedded gear or top brand switchs/routers like cisco, juniper, or
arista are all still in a hole, as are most of the users of head end
BRASes, CMTSes, etc. It would be nice to have the big folk announcing
solutions and plans and so on before nagging the CTOS and CIOS with
stuff they can´t just buy. Telling someone that they have to switch
their entire edge network over to Linux is often a hard sell.

I do keep hoping for a tilera or a cavium to pour this stuff into
their chips and firmware, but so far no such luck.

Blatant plug: see my .sig

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/N8mZ5F5iSPU