[Bloat] Bufferbloat in switches and routers

Ketan Kulkarni ketkulka at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 15:07:26 EDT 2015

Hi,
We have been talking about the bloated buffers mostly on the home routers.
The Cisco PIE too has been standardized by docsis meant to be for cable
modems

I think we would have similar concerns for switches and routers. (E.g.
cat3k switches or Cisco 5760 controllers just to name)

I would like to know your views about what you think about it .
Are the theories so far and the AQMs  (codel and pie) stand true for such
devices too?

What would it take to measure the bloat levels of these devices? Do we
still need to use the netperf wrapper to get the characteristics of such
devices?

Thanks
Ketan