[Bloat] Bufferbloat in switches and routers

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 18 15:39:59 EDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 12:24:28PM -0700, Ketan Kulkarni wrote:
>> For Cat3k switches, I can assure you there's no bufferbloat -- they are
>> badly underbuffered.
> Generically does that mean bufferbloat is the problem predominantly seen
> for the cable industry?

No. There are tons of other devices that have much larger buffers.
Take DSLAMs, for instance. Or higher-end routers.

> Cat3k was just an example. There are series of numerous other routers by
> many vendors.

But Cat3k isn't a router; it's an L3 switch. The difference is somewhat
arbitrary, but if you buy something marketed as a router, it's much more
likely to have ample buffering and AQM.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/