[Bloat] Realtime Response Under Load (RRUL) Test

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sat Apr 18 16:25:04 EDT 2015

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015, sahil grover wrote:

> Anyone please tell me what are requirements for taking this test:
>
> 1) About Operating System :
>
> which os is best-  windows or ubuntu?
> can i use windows?

whatever you are running

> 2) can i test it on home network for bufferbloat?
> or should i look for some wider network?

what are you trying to test? usually you don't get much value in testing a
when you go through
a router that is a bottleneck. so testing from one machine on your network to
another machine on your network isn't going to find anything

> 3) Any other link explaining about its procedure from scratch because i am
> newbie to all this.

It boils down to

1. do a latency test with no other load ( ping works )

2. start a large upload and see what happens to latency during the upload

3. start a large download and see what happens to latency during the download

4. start an upload and download and see what happens to latency.

the netperf test does this by having you run a netperf server on one system (on
the other side of the router that is your bottleneck), then run the test from
a machne on your network, and it does allt he steps above for you.

David Lang