[Bloat] Bufferbloat in switches and routers

Ketan Kulkarni ketkulka at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 18:12:21 EDT 2015

On Apr 18, 2015 13:33, "David Lang" <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Apr 2015, Ketan Kulkarni wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> We have been talking about the bloated buffers mostly on the home
routers.
>> The Cisco PIE too has been standardized by docsis meant to be for cable
>> modems
>>
>> I think we would have similar concerns for switches and routers. (E.g.
>> cat3k switches or Cisco 5760 controllers just to name)
>

> remember that bufferbloat shows up where there is a difference in
bandwidth from one side of the router to the other (i.e. a bottleneck)

Thanks this makes the devices easier to target.

> This is almost always going to happen at the edge of your LAN where you
go from your Gig-E (or in a datacenter, possibly 10Gig-E to your WAN link.
It can happen at places inside your datacenter, but isn't as likely

Agree. As per my (limited) knowledge of such deployment goes, these
probably never run to their peak capacity in the production/live system
probably not even to saturate the lowest of the links( I may be wrong
though) . Given this, what is the gravity of the effect of the bufferbloat?
Or such study has never been done before?

Having AQM won't definitely hurt, however is it indeed a real problem to
solve for such edge routers?

At the same time I hear codel or pie finding the space in data centers. So
there are definitely some pieces I am missing.

Sorry for being little naive but the answers will definitely help me
understand the problem space and spread more awareness about bufferbloat.