[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Apr 20 10:51:06 EDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, jb wrote:

> 2. The test does not do latency pinging on 3G and GPRS
> because of a concern I had that with slower lines (a lot of 3G results are
> less than half a megabit) the pings would make the speed measured
> unreliable. And/or, a slow android phone would be being asked to do too
> much. I'll do some tests with and without pinging on a 56kbit shaped line
> and see if there is a difference. If there is not, I can enable it.

remember that people can be testing from a laptop tethered to a phone.

> 3. The graph of latency post-test is log X-axis at the moment
> because one spike can render the whole graph almost useless with axis
> scaling. What I might do is X-Axis breaking, and see if that looks ok.
> Alternatively, a two panel graph, one with 0-200ms axis, the other in full
> perspective. Or just live with the spike. Or scale to the 95% highest
> number and let the other 5% crop. There are tool-tips after all to show the
> actual numbers.

I think that showing the spike is significant because that latency spike would
impact the user. It's not false data.

showing two graphs may be the way to go.

I don't think showing the 95th percentile is right. Again it is throwing away
significant datapoints.

I think summarizing the number as an average (with error bands) for each
category of the test would be useful.

David Lang