[Bloat] Realtime Response Under Load (RRUL) Test

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Apr 20 11:45:38 EDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, sahil grover wrote:

> David Sir,
>
> Thanks for answering.
>
> can you please tell me how to interpret its output?
>
> By   "netperf-wrapper rrul netperf.bufferbloat.net" ( i chose netserver
> that is running on netperf.bufferbloat.net)
> output(result.png) is attached.
>
> please tell me first what does it say generally?
> secondly,  anything related with bufferbloat point of view.

latency should not increase significantly under load. The fact that it does
indicates that you have a problem. The fact that the latency can increase to
multi-second values for many people indicates a big problem.

take a look at the new test that's available at
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and then look at the results tab and see
how the latency increases during the download and upload tests.

If you have a system without excessive buffering, you would not see massive
increases in latency.

Contact me off-list if you want a deeper discussion of the history of
bufferbloat and what's going on to try and solve it.

David Lang