[Bloat] RE : DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Wed Apr 22 11:59:33 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 03:26:27PM +0000, luca.muscariello at orange.com wrote:
> BTW if a paced flow from Google shares a bloated buffer with a non paced
> flow from a non Google server,  doesn't this turn out to be a performance
> penalty for the paced flow?

Nope. The paced flow puts less strain on the buffer (and hooray for that),
which is a win no matter if the buffer is contended or not.

> fq_codel gives incentives to do pacing but if it's not deployed what's the
> performance gain of using pacing?

fq_codel doesn't give any specific incentive to do pacing. In fact, if
absolutely all devices on your path would use fq_codel and have adequate
buffers, I believe pacing would be largely a no-op.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/