[Bloat] Pacing ---- was RE: RE : DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 22 13:53:37 EDT 2015

Actually, fq_codel's sparse flow optimization provides a pretty strong
incentive for pacing traffic.

If your TCP traffic is well paced, and is running at a rate below that of
the bottleneck, then it will not build a queue.

It will then be recognized as a "good guy" flow, and scheduled
preferentially against other TCP flows that do build a queue (which is what
happens today, with TCP's without pacing).
                                                  - Jim