[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 23:39:53 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> I love the test, and thanks for the video!
>
> There is an interesting problem: some paths have for all intents and
> purposes infinite buffering, so you can end up with not just seconds, but
> even minutes of bloat.  The current interplanetary record for bufferbloat is
> GoGo inflight is 760(!) seconds of buffering (using netperf-wrapper, RRUL
> test, on several flights); Mars is closer to Earth than that for part of its
> orbit.  I've seen 60 seconds or so on some XFinity WiFi and similar amounts
> of bloat on some cellular systems.  Exactly how quickly one might fill such
> buffers depends on the details of load parts of a test.
>
> Please don't try the netperf-wrapper test on GoGo; all the users on the
> plane will suffer, and their Squid proxy dies entirely.  And the government
> just asked people to report "hackers" on airplanes....  Would that GoGo
> listen to the mail and tweets I sent them to try to report the problem to
> them....  If anyone on the list happens to know someone from GoGo, I'd like
> to hear about it.

I have also sent mail and tweets to no effect.

I hereby donate 1k to the "bufferbloat testing vs gogo-in-flight legal
defense fund".  Anyone that gets busted by testing for bufferbloat on
an airplane using these new tools or the rrul test can tap me for
that. Anyone else willing to chip in?[1]

I note that tweeting in the air after such a test might be impossible
(on at least one bloat test done so far the connection never came
back) so you'd probably have to tweet something like

"I am about to test for bufferbloat on my flight. If I do not tweet
again for the next 4 hours, I blew up gogo-in-flight, and expect to be
met by secret service agents on landing with no sense of humor about
how network congestion control is supposed to work."

FIRST. (and shrink the above to 140 pithy characters)

[1] I guess this makes me liable for inciting someone to do a network
test, also, which I hope is not illegal (?). I personally don't want
to do the test as I have better things to do than rewrite walden and
am not fond of roomates named "bubba".

... but I admit to being tempted.

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > OK - I change my opinion. I'll be fussy and say it should be
>> > "Bufferbloat (lag) in msec"
>>
>> Works for me.

>> > I see this as well (Firefox in Linux). It seems OK in other browser
>> > combinations. (I have *not* done the full set of variations...)
>> >
>> > If this is a matter that FF won't show that gizmo, perhaps there could
>> > be a rectangle (like the blue/red ones) for Latency that shows:
>> >
>> >    Latency
>> >    Down: min/avg/max
>> >    Up: min/avg/max

>> > I have also wondered about whether we should find a way to add further
>> > value to the radar display. I have not yet come up with useful suggestions,
>> > though.
>>
>> Stick it center stage and call it the "Bloat-o-Meter?"

>> > This confuses the "speed test" notion of this site. Since the flow of
>> > ack's can eat up 25% of the bandwidth of a slow, asymmetric link, I am
>> > concerend that people would wonder why their upload bandwidth suddenly went
>> > down dramatically...
>>
>> To me, that would help. Far too many think that data just arrives by
>> magic and doesn't have an ack clock.
>>
>> > Given that other speed test sites only show upload/download, I would
>> > vote to keep that format here. Perhaps there could be an
>> > option/preference/setting to do up/down/ping .

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67