[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 00:24:11 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
>> It's actually remarkably un-bloated...
>

> I re-did the test again at 6 in the morning,
> http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/353094 , and it's still not bloated.
>
> I'm actually very happy for my connection from a bloat point of view, I can
> do an scp at 50 megabit/s towards an Internet host and my increased latency
> is usually in the 5-20ms range and I can't really tell whilst doing
> interactive things that this scp is actually going on. Same in the
> downstream direction.

ssh(scp) has windowing issues at higher rates of it's own. Or at
least, it used to.

If I could get you to do a netperf-wrapper rrul_be test on the same
link, I would believe you are getting a valid result. Remember that
one machine running a test program may not be able to mess up the
network, but most people/families/offices have way more people and way
more machines.

I have successfully got netperf-wrapper to build on OSX on macports,
but not brew.

Alternatively, load up the link with a bunch of netperfs, and while
doing a ping. Since it is hard to get 250Mbit service, here's a rough
equivalent of the
rrul test aimed at multiple sites.

ping 8.8.8.8 > ping.log &
netperf -H netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_MAERTS &
netperf -H netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_MAERTS &
netperf -H netperf-west.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_MAERTS &
netperf -H netperf-east.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_MAERTS &

netperf -H netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_STREAM &
netperf -H netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_STREAM &
netperf -H netperf-west.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_STREAM &
netperf -H netperf-east.bufferbloat.net -l 300 -t TCP_STREAM &

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67