[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri Apr 24 04:29:20 EDT 2015

Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> writes:

> I know this is not perfect and the numbers will probably require
> severe "bike-shedding”

Since you're literally asking for it... ;)

In this case we're talking about *added* latency. So the ambition should
be zero, or so close to it as to be indiscernible. Furthermore, we know
that proper application of a good queue management algorithm can keep it
pretty close to this. Certainly under 20-30 ms of added latency. So from
this, IMO the 'green' or 'excellent' score should be from zero to 30 ms.

The other increments I have less opinions about, but 100 ms does seem to
be a nice round number, so do yellow from 30-100 ms, then start with the
reds somewhere above that, and range up into the deep red / purple /
black with skulls and fiery death as we go nearer and above one second?

I very much think that raising peoples expectations and being quite
ambitious about what to expect is an important part of this. Of course
the base latency is going to vary, but the added latency shouldn't. And
sine we have the technology to make sure it doesn't, calling out bad
results when we see them is reasonable!

-Toke