[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Apr 24 12:13:52 EDT 2015

On 04/23/2015 09:17 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> OK, I have had a little more fun fooling with this.
>
> A huge problem all speedtest-like results have in general is that the
> test does not run long enough. About 20 seconds is needed for either
> up or down to reach maximum bloat, and many networks have been
> "optimized" to look good on the "normal" speedtests which are shorter
> than that. It appears this test only runs for about 15 seconds, and
> you can clearly see from this result
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/353034
>
> that we have clogged up the link in one direction which has not
> cleared in time for the next test to start.

Perhaps then that phase of the test shouldn't be considered complete?

In a netperf TCP_STREAM or TCP_MAERTS test, the test isn't over until
there is an indication the last byte has arrived.  As such, what one
might request to be a 30 second test can end-up with say a 34 second
elapsed time.  That is I suppose along the lines of your proposal C.

> C) waiting for the bloat to clear would be a good idea before starting
> the next test.... and showing "waiting for the bloat to clear"  as
> part of the result would be good also.

rick jones