[Bloat] Adblock - or another extension - is incorrectly blocking the speed test

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 10:15:47 EDT 2015

On 25/04/15 13:44, jb wrote:
> The message appears when the speed test is blocked from reaching a test
> server.
>
> It has turned out to be almost always either Adblock, AdblockPlus or
> NOSCRIPT
>
> The error message is correct, at least, has been so far: it is always an
> extension
> and whatever extension it is, does not report to what it is doing, just
> rips a hole
> in the browser.

Justin,

I do have other extensions besides Adblock (including NoScript), but
when I get this error message I had permitted all scripts from sites I
don't distrust to run (so excluding any google/fb/twitter/... stuff that
doesn't belong) and as I said I had completely disabled AdBlock.

What I mean about the error message being incorrect is that it doesn't
tell me what the problem is, and makes an assumption about the cause of
that problem. So what server does traffic not get through to? I then
have a shot at finding out which protocol and port so that I can further
debug.

On another note: why the warnings about use of the speed test through a
proxy? Why would that invalidate the test? I run a squid instance on my
side of my DSL line, and I don't notice any significant differences in
the results with and without proxy.

Thanks, Jan