[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:28:11 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM, jb <justin at dslr.net> wrote:
> The problem with metronome pinging is when there is a stall, they all pile
> up then when they are released, you get this illusion of a 45 degree slope
> of diminishing pings They all came back at the same instant (the 30 second
> mark), but were all sent at the ticks along the X-Axis. So from 15 to 30
> seconds was basically a total stall.

Ugh. To clarify what you wrote here, is "the problem with metronome
pinging *over TCP/IP* is when you get a stall..."

I keep thinking that leveraging a webrtc (udp) for this test would be good...

> I'm not sure what to do with that information, just there it is.
> Oh and the latency was so high, everything else is invisible, and even the
> red barrier, which I arbitrarily set to end at 9999 ms, is exceeded.

PITA, isn't it?

I have had a variety of (mostly extraordinary amounts of bufferbloat)
failures with this test thus far, and I have this fear that users (and
your back end db) will discard them as noise - when they really
aren't. Is there/will there be a way to look hard at the failures?