[Bloat] Detecting bufferbloat from outside a node

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Mon Apr 27 16:19:53 EDT 2015

Toke

On 27 Apr 2015, at 13:03, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:

> Neil Davies <neil.davies at pnsol.com> writes:
>
>> I don't think that the E2E principle can manage the emerging
>> performance hazards that are arising.
>
> Well, probably not entirely (smart queueing certainly has a place). My
> worry is, however, that going too far in the other direction will turn
> into a Gordian knot of constraints, where anything that doesn't fit into
> the preconceived traffic classes is impossible to do something useful
> with.
>
> Or, to put it another way, I'd like the network to have exactly as much
> intelligence as is needed, but no more. And I'm not sure I trust my ISP
> to make that tradeoff... :(

Ah - no such thing as intelligence here - you need to go for stochastics:
there is no-way that E2E (or any other non-local control mechanism, cf SDN)
can respond quickly enough - the system is more "ballistic" (hence the stochastic
dynamics as a better framing)

>> We've seen this recently in practice: take a look at
>> http://www.martingeddes.com/how-far-can-the-internet-scale/ - it is
>> based on a real problem we'd encountered.
>
> Well that, and the post linked to from it
> (http://www.martingeddes.com/think-tank/the-future-of-the-internet-the-end-to-end-argument/),
> is certainly quite the broadside against end-to-end principle. Colour me
> intrigued.

Yep - direct consequence of packet neutral behaviour !

>> In someways this is just control theory 101 rearing its head... in
>> another it is a large technical challenge for internet provision.
>
> It's been bugging me for a while that most control theory analysis (of
> AQMs in particular) seems to completely ignore transient behaviour and
> jump straight to the steady state.

Several years ago I calculated how long it would take a gigabit ethernet (with a 100
buffer queue) to reach steady state (be within 1 part in 10^5)  when offered 100%
offered load - it was six months! (usual mathematical caveats apply). Networks are
*NEVER* in steady state! We tend to try and make the "predictable" over 10 seconds -
at least beyond 10seconds control theory has a chance!