[Bloat] Detecting bufferbloat from outside a node

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Mon Apr 27 16:38:21 EDT 2015

Toke

∆Q is both the concept (quallity attenuation - the fact that delay and potential for loss is both conserved and only every increases[1]) and for its representation as an improper random variable (one who's CDF doesn't necessarily reach one).

One of my adages is that "network quality" doesn' t exist - just like you can't buy a box of "dark" and make a room dark by opening the box, you can't buy a box of "network quality" - delivering quality in networks is managing (through bounding) the "quality attenuation"

Neil
[1] Delay and loss can be traded - i.e resends or even forward error correction - but you can't reduce the ∆Q - resends mean increased delay to cover loss, forward error correction means increased delay to cover bit error rates) etc This is true at any (and all layers) and in *every* queueing and scheduling mechanism, just one of those nasty universal properties that we can't get away from.