[Bloat] some 110Mbit cable testing of the new dslreports stuff

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 17:28:44 EDT 2015

For reference, this is the comcast link under test, with no shaping at all:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377563

(horrific, isn't it?)

I did a few fq_codel + ecn tests

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377389
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377429

And cake: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377505

No ecn fq_codel: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377443

no ecn with pie: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377488

no ecn with ns2_codel: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377563

no ecn with codel: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377703

It is difficult to conclude anything from the download tests without
going through the captures, although the uplink tests look reasonable
compared to the rrul tests. If it wasn't for the pie result, I would
assume it was the browser misbehaving on downloads, or the server. The
tcp_download tests taken with the same setup with netperf-wrapper show
what I had assumed til now a normal variance of latency.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/yurtlab100.tgz is that set of results

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/yurtlab100/tcp_download_vs_dslreports.png

Puzzled, I

repeated  the pie with no ecn test:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377727

turned off ecn for a fq_codel test on the tcp itself:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377765

and for this fq_codel test, dropped the inbound shaper from 115 mbit
down to 110, which did improve matters somewhat.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/377786

[1] both ns2_codel and cake are experimental
Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67