[Bloat] Detecting bufferbloat from outside a node

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Apr 27 17:37:47 EDT 2015

Neil Davies <neil.davies at pnsol.com> writes:

> ∆Q is both the concept (quallity attenuation - the fact that delay and
> potential for loss is both conserved and only every increases[1]) and
> for its representation as an improper random variable (one who's CDF
> doesn't necessarily reach one).

Right, got it.

> One of my adages is that "network quality" doesn' t exist - just like
> you can't buy a box of "dark" and make a room dark by opening the box,
> you can't buy a box of "network quality" - delivering quality in
> networks is managing (through bounding) the "quality attenuation"

That much seems obvious. But do you have any analytical models that can
actual predict the magnitude of the quality attenuation for a given
network, say? And if so, are they available somewhere?

Also, some of the documents linked to from your web site seems to allude
to a scheduling algorithm of some sort. Is that available in paper form
(or better, code!) anywhere?

Thanks for your answers, will also take a look at the paper you linked
in your other email. :)

-Toke