[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Apr 28 04:19:15 EDT 2015

David Lang <david at lang.hm> writes:

> Voice is actually remarkably tolerant of pure latency. While 60ms of
> jitter makes a connection almost unusalbe, a few hundred ms of
> consistant latency isn't a problem. IIRC (from my college days when
> ATM was the new, hot technology) you have to get up to around a second
> of latency before pure-consistant latency starts to break things.

Well isn't that more a case of "the human brain will compensate for the
latency". Sure, you *can* talk to someone with half a second of delay,
but it's bloody *annoying*. :P

That, for me, is the main reason to go with lower figures. I don't want
to just be able to physically talk with someone without the codec
breaking, I want to be able to *enjoy* the experience and not be totally
exhausted by latency fatigue afterwards.

One of the things that really struck a chord with me was hearing the
people from the LoLa project
(http://www.conservatorio.trieste.it/artistica/ricerca/progetto-lola-low-latency/lola-case-study.pdf)
talk about how using their big fancy concert video conferencing system
to just talk to each other, it was like having a real face-to-face
conversation with none of the annoyances of regular video chat.

-Toke