[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 10:06:58 EDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:04 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, David Lang wrote:
>
>> Voice is actually remarkably tolerant of pure latency. While 60ms of
>> jitter makes a connection almost unusalbe, a few hundred ms of consistant
>> latency isn't a problem. IIRC (from my college days when ATM was the new,
>> hot technology) you have to get up to around a second of latency before
>> pure-consistant latency starts to break things.
>

> I would say most people start to get trouble when talking to each other when
> the RTT exceeds around 500-600ms.
>
> I mostly agree with
> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/voice-quality/5125-delay-details.html
> but RTT of over 500ms is not fun. You basically can't have a heated
> argument/discussion when the RTT is higher than this :P

Thx for busting me up this morning!

But what you say is not strictly true. When the RTT goes way, way, way
up (as in email) it becomes much more possible to have an unresolvable
heated argument that cannot be shut down down without invocation of
godwin's law.

Short RTTs (as in personal meetings - and perhaps, one day in a more
bloat-free universe without annoying jitter), make it both more
possible to have a heated argument... and a resolution.

A shared beer, helps too, also. :)

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67