[Bloat] extremely good dslreports result for bufferbloat on free.fr

David Lang david at lang.hm
Tue Apr 28 19:44:57 EDT 2015

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, jb wrote:

> If the tool were to list ISPs in descending order of a bloaty factor from
> best (like this
> one)   http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/375736
> to worst (like I don't know yet), what would be the ranking factor?

I think the biggest problem is differentiating between bloat on the ISP side and
bloat on the endpoint router. A given ISP may have very good internal setups,
but bad/obsolete equipment at the endpoints, or the endpoints could be upgraded
and the ISP could still have problems on their side.

> Call B the "blue" series of latencies.
> Call G the "idle" series
> Call O the "orange" series
>
> What is fn1(fn2(B),fn2(G),fn2(O)) that generates an open-ended bloat
> factor, where 0 is no problem ?
> What is fn1() that takes a series of latencies and produces one latency?
> What is fn1() that takes three latencies, and produces a bloat factor?
>
> And then having obtained a "bloat factor" for one result, do you combine
> them using an average?
>
> Also should there be another input such as connection speed.
> Should higher speed lines be held to a higher standard?

if you measure the bloat as the difference from idle, then using one standard
for all speeds should be reasonable.

> The "bloat factor" can be what is reported next to Ping on a test result.
> Should it be an infinite set of numbers from 0 .. infinity or should it be
> a grade
> A+ down to F ?
> (a grade would be more user-friendly).

I think A+ down to F is good. based on our jitter discussion,

A+ <5ms
A <30ms
B <60ms
C <200ms
D <400ms
F >400ms

or something like this (so that not all situations result in A+ or F)

David Lang