[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sun Apr 19 13:45:14 EDT 2015

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> writes:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 2015, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>
>> The upload latency figures are definitely iffy, but the download ones
>> seem to match roughly what I've measured myself on this link.
>
> Also, I don't trust parallel latency measures done by for instance
> ICMP ping. Yes, they indicate something, but what?

Why not? They can be a quite useful measure of how competing traffic
performs when bulk flows congest the link. Which for many applications
is more important then the latency experienced by the bulk flow
itself...

I do agree, though, that other types of measurements are also needed.
Ideally we should have good latency characteristics for *both* competing
traffic and the bulk flows themselves.

-Toke