[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Apr 28 07:04:01 EDT 2015

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, David Lang wrote:

> Voice is actually remarkably tolerant of pure latency. While 60ms of jitter
> makes a connection almost unusalbe, a few hundred ms of consistant latency
> isn't a problem. IIRC (from my college days when ATM was the new, hot
> technology) you have to get up to around a second of latency before
> pure-consistant latency starts to break things.

I would say most people start to get trouble when talking to each other
when the RTT exceeds around 500-600ms.

I mostly agree with
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/voice-quality/5125-delay-details.html
but RTT of over 500ms is not fun. You basically can't have a heated
argument/discussion when the RTT is higher than this :P

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se