[Bloat] extremely good dslreports result for bufferbloat on free.fr

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 22:01:03 EDT 2015

my short term answer is to ask you merely collect lots more data and
slice it up different ways, trying to isolate actual browser bugs from
actual data (and NOT discarding what appears to be outliers, because
the outliers are interesting - I am perpetually thinking of the
discovery of the cosmic background radiation when it comes to looking
at bufferbloat stuff), then work the raw data with one or more of the
folk here (under NDA, I would assume) to get aggregate stats that make
sense and are publishable.

Some things that may help:

A) You can be generally assured that anything that has ECT(3) asserted
on the header is coming from a aqm-enabled router. There are also ack
markings for that, not in the header. (are you also getting captures?)

B) Nearly anything from free.fr will be either SFQed or FQ_Codeled

C) Hopefully your users will distinguish wifi from non wifi
connections but that seems dicey.

D) We can add tests as similar to yours as possible as yours evolve,
to the netperf-wrapper suite so as to get comparisons from our tools,
without having a browser/web server/vm to deal with.

I would like (after seeing it finally, on OSX) for the bufferbloat
dial to be front and center instead of the static ping radar image.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> These are pretty good questions, actually. But as pointed out, when you want
> to start ranking, it's important to distinguish the performance of the ISP
> itself from equipment under the subscriber's control, which itself might be
> configured to hide faults in the ISP.
>
> Statistics is a hard subject. If you feel at all confused by what I describe
> below, it might be a good idea to sit down with a real expert. The basic
> calculations are not difficult; it's knowing WHAT to calculate and what it
> means once you've done it.
>
> Notably, the upload queue usually depends much more on the CPE than on
> anything the ISP controls directly. I don't think there are that many ISPs
> left which absolutely insist on using their own modem, but most will supply
> a preferred, preconfigured model on request, and many users will accept
> that, not knowing better. Unfortunately, I can't think of an easy, robust
> way to detect what CPE is in use our how it has been configured, so it's
> hard to control for it statistically.
>
> In general, downstream queuing is much more under the ISP's control. To
> account for the (growing?) subset of users who apply ingress shaping, you
> could look at the upper percentiles of latency, since usually ingress
> shaping will improve matters. Caveat: it's also possible for ingress shaping
> to make things worse, either through accidental misconfiguration or even
> maliciously, so don't just take the peak value.
>
> Initially I suggest you present a histogram of the results that fall into
> particular grades. That'll help you get a feel for the statistics, and it's
> easy to pick out a modal value by eye. Beware of trying to calculate a modal
> value simplistically, since the histogram might not show a simple mode if
> results tend to straddle two adjacent grades. (This is why the mode is the
> least used of the three basic averages; it's hard to calculate it such that
> it's reliably useful, even though it's often intuitively useful.)
>
> I also suggest you add a basic question to the user: are you using a router
> with QoS features turned on (yes/no/dunno), with dunno as the default.
> That'll give you a way to point out that most of the lower latency results
> are probably a result of this. You could draw stacked or adjacent histograms
> with this information colour coded.
>
> As for the single numbers to plug into the formula, this also requires some
> care.
>
> For the idle/baseline, I suggest using only the samples from before the
> bandwidth tests begin, rather than also including those from between and
> afterwards. Then you should use the harmonic mean on these, to get a value
> biased on the low end.
>
> For each of the load sets, you want a value biased high. Taking the 90th
> percentile might be a reasonable approach here; it'll discard outliers and
> brief transients that a good AQM acting alone (ie. without FQ) might leave,
> [...]

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67