[Bloat] cake 'conservative' option and panics

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Mon Aug 10 13:46:58 EDT 2015

On 10/08/15 13:16, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> I tried to get OpenWRT on my router last week, but ran into some
> roadblocks, so I'm not in an ideal position to help debug it.  I'm
> pretty sure it works properly on desktop hardware.

I'd be interested to know what issues you hit?  Was it anything related
to the instructions I knocked up here:
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/Cake#Installing-CAKE-out-of-tree-on-OpenWrt-rough-instructions

I'm quite concerned if these instructions contain an error as I don't
want others falling into traps I've created.

> However, the configuration interface should be robust enough to deal
> with mismatches between userspace and module versions.  I'm having
> difficulty imagining why you're seeing such a problem.

Ha ha :-)  I'm not so surprised, the application of a suitably placed
idiot (ie. me) can reveal all sorts. I'm sure it's something I'm doing.

Thoughts/observations: Archer C7 Openwrt has recently bumped to 4.1.4
kernel.  No idea if that affects the module interface (I rebuild
everything and tell openwrt to include everything in the image rather
than using opkg to install additional packages, so I don't have a build
date/package date mismatch)

I'm picking up 'tc-adv' & 'kmod-sched-cake' from Dave's ceropackages
https://github.com/dtaht/ceropackages-3.10.  These point to heads of
https://github.com/dtaht/tc-adv and  https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake
respectively.  I'm assuming these are the best places to go for
'current' versions of patched tc & cake, am I wrong?

I noticed that sch-cake has a recent commit
https://github.com/dtaht/sch_cake/commit/7a8d833f9174a9662a5d95baac870eebd9b9d94f
which exposes the number of active flows into
struct tc_cake_xstats.  tc-adv hasn't been changed to report that
value...so is this up to date?  Fortunately the structure size doesn't
change but I'm curious as to how pkt_sched.h should be maintained
between kmod-sched-cake & tc-adv?

If someone can give me a nudge/help into what to do I'll happily give
things a go.

It would be good if I could get a crash dump or even console log out of
the router....hmm no idea how to do that!

Kevin