[Bloat] teh tech guy has got bufferbloat bad on his link

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Fri Aug 14 04:28:18 EDT 2015

On 14/08/2015 08:30, jb wrote:
> hey, Leo is a good guy :)
>
> If someone was to explain to him bufferbloat he'd probably find a way to
> include something on it in a future show.

Leo did mention bufferbloat towards the end of that segment around 1:51
when he was explaining the dslr results screen. But it would have been
nice if that had been mentioned to the caller direct.

I have also heard Leo and Steve talk about bufferbloat on Security Now
occasionally. A quick search shows that they devoted a whole episode to
it in March 2012
https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-345.htm
https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-359.htm

Just one thing to note about the ISPs preference for speedtest.net. My
ISP here in the UK use what is I think a co-located (rebadged)
speedtest.net server in their data centres. I think that doing it that
way means they are testing from their core network to me and can
discount any wider internet issues outside of their control. They also
get to see the results direct from the server so they do not need to
"trust" my version of the results.

I had a problem a few months back and they told me to test there instead
of at dslr. However their license key for the speedtest server had
expired and it gave me a nice error screen revealing a lot of the setup
behind the curtains that revealed it was powered by speedtest.

Regards

Richard