[Bloat] teh tech guy has got bufferbloat bad on his link

jb justin at dslr.net
Fri Aug 14 10:29:25 EDT 2015

Yes speedtest.net license a white label version where the ISP can
apply the branding for example Xfinity/Comcast test is just speedtest.net
in a new dress.

As you mentioned ISPs like it because they don't have to pay for as much
bandwidth and locating it in their noc can avoid "testing" a lot
of other things. Things both in their control, and out of their control.

Also externally hosted tests did themselves no favours by
being single stream so were quickly crippled by only running as fast
as the TCP send/receive maximum window sizes let them for the
latency, but speedtest was (on the quiet!) loads of parallel streams.
I've learned that customers want to believe the fastest result they can
possibly get.

In fact a super successful speed test would ask the user how
fast their line is supposed to be, then it would display some nifty
graphics for a while and then display that speed back, plus 3% extra :)