[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) versteb at cisco.com
Wed Feb 25 13:51:15 EST 2015

I have seen some (to date unpublished) studies that show a ~5% "guard band" below the link rate can be enough to provide both good performance and bloat resistance. Take that with a grain of salt, though.

The real-world problem is that the anti-bloat proxy does not really know the bottleneck link rate. At 2 in the morning on an SP network (aka HFC, DSL or FTTx) , you are quite likely to get your SLA rate. At 7PM on a Friday afternoon, the link rate will probably be degraded. If you shape to the SLA rate when the network is busy, you are very likely to not have the desired behavior.

Throw in some "turbo boost" (where the network operator allows a large spike of traffic if the subscriber has been idle for a while) and the problem gets even harder. Turbo boost has very favorable benefits for bursty HTTP browsing traffic, and you do not want to miss out on that benefit by having a bump-in-the-wire doing rate shaping.

IMHO, the correct answer is to run a modern AQM algorithm (take your pick, they are all better than tail drop) on all devices. If the bottleneck link has a variable link speed, it is in a position to manage the buffer effectively.  Until we get to that point, there may be some benefit in proxy solutions, but there are dragons here.

Bill Ver Steeg
DISTINGUISHED ENGINEER
versteb at cisco.com