[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Feb 25 14:04:41 EST 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Michael Welzl wrote:

> 2) Not everyone will always want FQ everywhere. There are potential
> disadvantanges (e.g. the often mentioned with-a-VPN-I'm-only-1-flow problem).
> What's necessary is to quantify them - to see how the effect of FQ (or
> FQ_CoDel's changed FQ) plays out, and you've done a great start there in my
> opinion.

If you only have one flow, then FQ should be just fine as you aren't competing
against anything.

When your one flow starts mixing with other people's traffic, you will suffer a
bit if they use multiple flows, but how could anything possibly tell that you
are doing many things through that one flow rather than doing a single massive
thing that should be limited for fairness with others?

The areas of the network that could have this knowledge don't have the competing
flows, by the time you get to the point where you do have competing flows, you
don't have any way of getting the knowledge (you can't trust whatever the user
tells you as they could be just gaming you to get an unfair share of bandwidth)

David Lang