[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Feb 26 04:36:54 EST 2015

Hi Bob,

On Feb 25, 2015, at 18:28 , Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe at bt.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> At 09:31 25/02/2015, Alex Elsayed wrote:
>> It was less a criticism of your work itself, and more pointing out that Bob
>> Briscoe was applying research on symmetric paths to asymmetric paths without
>> questioning the applicability of its conclusions.
>
> Mea culpa.
> Just one ambiguous inference and the whole list explodes!
>
> When I said "The paper convinced me that ARED is good enough (in the paper's simulations it was often better than PIE or CoDel),"
>
> I didn't mean 'good enough to go ahead and deploy'. Don't worry we're testing out ARED. I meant good enough to make it the centre of my attention. (I did say "consider deploying" later in the sentence).
>
> Our ARED testing is focusing on whether there are any pathologies, rather than whether it is slightly better or worse than the perfect solution X that will takes a decade to make any difference to the majority.
>
> It's interesting that no-one picked up on the sentence "This could reduce deployment completion time from decades to a few months."
> I take that as a symptom that the bufferbloat list is mainly populated by implementers. If there's a nail that can't be hit with the implementation hammer, it seems it's not an interesting nail, even if it's an extremely important nail.

	My understanding was that your idea “any AQM is better than none” is the consensus; the promise of actual deployment on existing hardware is really interesting. Especially when one considers how much real world data this could produce to compare other implementations against. Also I would not be amazed if a deployment the size of BT might do, can move manufacturers to increase their interest in better AQM solutions to differentiate their products (but I guess that is dreaming ;) )

Best Regards
	Sebastian